Decks bring much enjoyment to homeowners. They provide an open and inviting spot for families to gather and make memories. They offer quiet havens for a morning cup of coffee before the kids awake. While you can get over ten years of pleasure from your backyard haven, it doesn’t come without putting in some effort with regular maintenance. Additionally, annual inspections from a trusted Montclair deck contractor ensure you catch minor issues before they become more complex and more expensive.
6 Reasons to Call in the Pros to Inspect Your Deck
Each year, you can conduct a simple inspection of your backyard haven. This process includes noticing loose or rotten boards, popped nails, and wobbly railings and steps. If you find any of these issues, it’s time to contact your trusted deck contractor. They will conduct a thorough investigation covering the following:
- Insect Damage: Termites love wood, and they will make a tasty treat out of your footers and joists. If you notice that your deck sways a little when you step on it, it could be a sign of pest issues. An inspection will find if there are issues with wood-eating pests and any damage to existing boards.
- Fasteners and Connectors: Checking out the underside of the boards will reveal much, including rusted fasteners and connectors. Rust affects how tight the fastener hangs on to the wood. Without a close fit, you will have loose boards and potential injuries.
- Cracking and Rotting Wood: Being in the sun and rain day after day, year after year, wears wood down. It may even cause cracking, which can compromise the integrity of your outdoor haven if the cracks expand or are situated around fasteners. Rotting boards need addressing as well.
- Railings: The risk of injury from a wobbly railing is great. All it takes is for too many people to lean against it. The next thing you know is that you have injured guests. Your professional inspection will address these issues before a mishap occurs.
- Mold and Mildew: It’s common for wood decks to develop mold and mildew. Regular washing will keep it at bay; however, it can rot out your boards if left alone. Decay, in particular, should not be left to grow, and an inspection by your Montclair deck contractor will reveal the source.
- Frame and Footers: The entire structure needs a close review to ensure all supports are as they should be. The footers fall into this category as well. These key areas ensure your deck stays sturdy all year long.
Choose a Deck Contractor Dedicated to Your Safety
Get years out of your deck when you have it inspected annually by the dedicated deck contractors in Montclair at Schafer Construction. We have decades of experience ensuring each outdoor haven is attractive and safe. Look to us to come in, assess your deck, and offer recommendations based on our findings. You deserve a safe deck, and we provide it.
Call Schafer Construction at 510-339-9100 or contact us online. Homeowners across Montclair and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on our team of skilled and experienced deck contractors for construction, inspection, and repair.