Deck Maintenance Program to maintain the integrity of your Schafer Construction built deck in the Oakland Hills
“Decks for Life” is a unique maintenance program developed by Schafer Construction for the sole purpose of minimizing future repair costs and/or replacement of your deck. This exclusive service provides on-going periodic inspections for our client’s new deck. This service is also available for our Bridge Driveway projects.
This invaluable inspection service increases the longevity of your deck or bridge driveway. One could compare this service to going to the doctor or the dentist for a check-up. Our licensed professional performs this inspection for one of the most valuable components of your home, your deck and/or bridge driveway.
The following are just a few examples of conditions we check with our deck inspection checklist:
- How your deck is weathering. Decks will naturally weather over time, but how they are weathering can be of concern.
- Debris collecting between the decking boards. Over time debris can collect between the decking boards and break down to form sponges. This sponge can absorb the moisture from fog and/or rain and become a source of decay. Contrary to myth, maintenance free decking is not immune to this problem. Composite decking materials can also be affected by excessive moisture conditions.
- What is the condition of the deck due to its local environment? Is your deck in a relatively dry environment? Is your deck exposed to the sun or mostly shade? If shade, is the shade from trees? Is your deck subjected to a considerable amount of moisture from fog and/or rain?
- Are there signs of the beginning stages of decay (surface fungus), or is decay already present? If decay is present, at what stage is the decay? We can monitor the progression of the infection with our periodic inspections.
- How is the hardware holding up? Examples of deck hardware are the bolts which hold the deck guardrail system in place and the fasteners which hold the large steel brackets together connecting the deck framing components. Since most of decks are constructed with a large percentage of wood, decks naturally expand and contract. Since we know the wood is constantly moving, so can the hardware. The hardware and fasteners should be checked periodically to ensure the structural integrity of your deck. Wooden deck repair costs can quickly climb if the deck’s structural integrity is compromised.
- We check the overall condition of the bridge driveway, how is the foundation/piers, how is the framing and mechanical connectors holding up, checking for any signs of moisture infiltration, condition of the ramp surface.
- Checking debris build up in trench drains.
- Inspecting area in and around the adjacent area of the Bridge Driveway.
All these conditions have different adverse effects on your deck and bridge driveway require consistent care and maintenance to avoid costly repairs.
After building and repairing decks and bridge driveway in the Bay Area for over 30 years, we’ve acquired substantial experience in safe and sturdy deck and bridge driveway repairs. Because of that experience, very few people or companies know how to repair decks and bridge driveway as well as we do. That’s why we saw a need to provide a proactive maintenance service to assist property owners in protecting their deck and bridge driveway, one of the most valuable components of their home.
We know deck and bridge driveway repairs can be costly, so we are proud to offer our construction services to benefit our clients. We are proud our clients choose to put their trust in our company to provide this valuable service in maintaining longevity in the life of their deck and bridge driveway. This is just one component of how we build “Decks for Life”.
We service areas in Alameda and Contra Costa counties, including Montclair, Piedmont, Berkeley, Orinda, Alamo, Lafayette, Oakland, and other areas. To find out more, get in touch by visiting our Contact page, or call the office at 510-339-9100.