Summer is for being outdoors. It’s the best time for baseball and softball games, hiking, surfing, tennis, and barbeques. It wouldn’t be summer without firing up the grill and cooking hamburgers, hot dogs, and other goodies after a fun day. The best place to gather for fun and food is on your deck. With the unofficial end of summer fast approaching, it is time to plan the last hurrah—your annual Labor Day party.
Part of the preparations should include a thorough cleaning of your outdoor haven. Cleaning your deck is an intense process that ensures the wooden structure stays intact for years. While you are sprucing up things, pay attention to the boards and nails. If you see that the wood is worn and rotting, it’s time to call in a trusted Orinda deck contractor to make necessary repairs.
Get Ready to Party with Deck Cleaning Tips
Make your deck party-ready before the unofficial end-of-summer party with these helpful tips and suggestions to clean it:
- Remove Everything and Sweep: An intense cleaning requires an open area. Start by removing all furniture, planters, the grill, and heaters. Sweep away the dirt, twigs, and debris. You may not get every speck of dust, but this step helps get most of the stuff out of the way.
- Clean Out the Gaps between the Boards: The gaps between your deck boards will collect dirt and debris. Any sealer you use will not work effectively if the cracks aren’t cleaned. Use a putty knife or screwdriver to scrape out dirt lodged between the planks.
- Spray the Deck with the Hose: After sweeping and cleaning out the gaps, it’s time to hose down the deck and get some of the leftover debris. Using the jet-sprayer or a pressure washer will dislodge any stubborn particles. It’s good practice to be methodical and spray in a side-to-side pattern.
- Apply Deck Cleaner: Even with all the sweeping and spraying, you are not quite finished. It’s time to use a deck cleaner to scrub down the porous wood to eliminate mildew and other dirt that threatens the integrity of the fibers. Let the cleaner soak as per the instructions, and then rinse it.
- Apply a Sealer: Once everything is cleaned and dry, you need to apply a sealer to keep things looking great. Regular use of a quality deck sealant will encourage a longer lifespan of your haven.
- Put Things Back, and Party: After the sealer is dry, you can replace your furniture and grill and get ready to party!
Ensure a Safe Labor Day Party – Choose an Experienced Deck Contractor in Orinda
Have a blast during the last days of summer with a party on your newly cleaned and sealed deck. The team from Schafer Construction can help you with a thorough deck inspection. We look over all components and make needed repairs. We have decades of experience ready to ensure your outdoor fun is safe.
Call Schafer Construction at 510-339-9100 or contact us online. Homeowners across Orinda and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on our skilled and experienced team for deck building, inspection, repair needs, and remodels.