Are you the proud owner of a deck that’s seen better days? Don’t worry, we won’t be hosting a “Deck Intervention” reality show here, but we do have some important advice for you.
Picture this: you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, the sun is shining, the grill is sizzling, and your friends are gathered around, enjoying the good times. Suddenly, a loud CRACK breaks the harmony, and your deck decides to take an unexpected nosedive, turning your barbecue into an impromptu limbo competition. Trust us, that’s not the kind of “deck party” you want to be remembered for!
Avoid such embarrassing and potentially dangerous scenarios by scheduling regular inspections by trusted deck construction professionals in Montclair.
5 Important Checks by Your Deck Inspector
Think about it this way: your deck has been battling the elements day in and day out. It has weathered storms, endured scorching summers, and braved winter’s icy grip. A professional deck inspection ensures that your beloved outdoor space remains safe, secure, and ready to host the next epic gathering.
Deck construction professionals will look over things with a fine-toothed comb and cover areas including these five:
- Insect damage. Termites and other wood-chewing pests like ants will make a treat of your bellowed deck. Inspectors will check for evidence of insect damage. For example, when you first step on the deck, and it sways a little, it might be a result of pest damage.
- Rusted fasteners and connectors. The fasteners that keep your deck boards affixed to the posts and ledger board should be in good condition. When rust is evident, it causes the boards to loosen, which can cause potential injuries.
- Cracks and rotting. Wood will deteriorate after a period. However, with consistent upkeep and maintenance, your deck boards could last for years. An inspector will check for evidence of cracks and rotting. If found, you will want the wood replaced quickly to ensure the deck remains safe.
- Unsteady railings. Railings get leaned upon all the time. The last thing you want to happen is for an unsteady railing to give way and for a guest to fall and get injured. During your inspection, the railing will be looked at closely to see if things are still tight. Any loose pieces need to be fixed and secured.
- Mold and mildew. Unkempt decks are subject to mold and mildew buildup. Things can get slippery fast if mildew is allowed to grow. A more significant issue with mold and mildew, though, is how it can affect the quality of the boards. Essentially, it can wear down the integrity of the wood and cause it to rot.
Build Memories with Quality Deck Construction in Montclair
During an inspection, experts will evaluate the structural integrity of your deck, looking for signs of wear, tear, and potential hazards. They’ll inspect the deck boards, support posts, railings, stairs, and everything in between. Plus, they can detect the subtle warning signs that you, as an amateur deck detective, might overlook!
So, dear homeowner, don’t leave your deck’s fate to chance. Schedule those regular professional deck inspections, because prevention is always better than a dramatic deck disaster. Let the professionals handle the detective work while you sit back, relax, and enjoy your worry-free barbecues.
Be confident that you and your guests enjoy all your deck has to offer when you trust the team at Schafer Construction. We have decades of experience building, repairing, and inspecting decks in Montclair. We love helping homeowners enjoy all that the Bay Area offers, including the great outdoors.
Call Schafer Construction at 510-339-9100 or contact us online. Homeowners across Montclair and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on our skilled and experienced team for deck construction, inspection, repair needs, and remodels.