Spring brings many things. One that is on the top of many deck owners’ list is that of parties and barbeques. Grilling and chilling is just what many of us want to do as the warmer weather approaches. Then there are the quiet evenings with a few close family members, comfort food, and a favorite wine. Yes, this season is the best one for outdoor lovers. Taking in the Montclair area’s gorgeous scenery requires deck construction that is sound and dependable. If your oasis is aging a little, consider a deck inspection to keep family and friends safe.
Before you break out the grill, be sure to reach out to the team at Schafer Construction, Inc. We can assist you with inspections or even a completely new deck construction. Our expert crews help homeowners around the area beautify their homes, and we can do the same for you.
What do Deck Professionals Inspect?
If you already have a deck, regular inspections can ensure that you are party-ready throughout the grilling season. Here are six areas your deck’s assessment by our team will include:
- Connections: Screws and nails come loose over time. This can lead to the ledger board pulling away from your house. Also, stairs may become disconnected, or planks pop away from their joists. Your inspector will look for areas that are no longer tight and offer solutions to remedy them.
- Flashing: This handy overhang helps keeps water from running over your ledger board. If water gets behind the flashing, there is a risk of rot, which will weaken the wood.
- Balusters: Those aesthetically pleasing spindles between the deck rails can loosen over time. That can cause trouble for guests. Something worse is if the balusters are spaced too far apart so that a child’s or a pet’s head can squeeze in between. This is a serious flaw in deck construction and a safety hazard that needs fixing immediately.
- Stair Railings: There may be a two-fold issue. One problem is the absence of a railing. The other is loose railings. Without something to hold on to, guests can accidentally fall down the stairs. A loose one can decrease a guest’s ability to walk confidently up and down the steps.
- Deck Footings: Some deck posts sit on the top of footings or inside them but without connectors. An inspector will ensure that your deck is properly affixed to the footings.
- Drainage Issues: Water causes much damage to wood. Rotten posts cannot hold the deck or your guests. It’s an accident waiting to happen.
Ensure Safety with a Timely Deck Inspection
No grilling season would be complete without a beautiful deck. As you plan and prepare for outdoor entertaining, keep up on safety with regular inspections. Don’t have an existing deck? No problem! Our deck construction team brings a dream to reality for many, and we can do the same for you. Give us a call today and get ready to fire up that grill!
Call Schafer Construction at 510-339-9100 or contact us online. Homeowners across Montclair and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on our skilled and experienced team for their deck construction, inspection, and repair needs.