Even in the mild climate of the Bay area, decks take a bit of a beating during the winter months. Often, homeowners don’t head outside as often as they do in the warmer months. If you have left your outdoor oasis to weather the cooler months, it’s time to bring some life back into it. It is possible to revamp your outdoor space and have it ready to enjoy during spring and summer. Calling a trusted deck contractor near your Montclair home is a good idea. They can step in and help ensure everything is in good order, make needed repairs, or build you a brand-new haven.
6 Spring Maintenance Tips for a Pristine Outdoor Haven
Take advantage of the change in seasons to revamp your deck and landscaping. Start with these six maintenance tips:
- Remove all the debris. The best place to start is with a clean slate. Take some time to remove all the furniture. Then, sweep it off, removing any debris caught in the cracks. This will help moisture drain off the boards instead of allowing mold and mildew to build up.
- Wash it off. Scrub down the wood using a gentle detergent or a cleaner specially formulated for decks. Composite materials benefit from using formulas recommended by the manufacturer. Whichever you use, be sure to wash things down thoroughly and give them a good rinse. Power washers can be used but be careful not to damage the boards.
- Clean your gutters. Full gutters mean the debris must go somewhere. That typically means onto your outdoor haven. Now is a great time to get the gutters cleaned out.
- Check for loose boards. Time has a way of causing things to deteriorate. Sometimes, screws and nails work loose, which results in loose deck boards. Now is an ideal time to inspect the deck and ledger boards, and fix anything that needs to be repaired.
- Sand the deck. Once everything is dry and exposed screw or nail heads are taken care of, use a handheld orbital sander to remove any gray fibers lightly. Stop as soon as the gray is gone. Sweep off the sawdust.
- Apply stain and sealant. After removing the sawdust, it is time to apply a new stain and sealant. Read the manufacturer’s directions. It is helpful to start around the edges. Once the edges have been treated, finish the rest of the deck. Allow the first coat at least 24 hours to dry, and then apply a second coat.
Choose a Reliable Deck Contractor to Ensure a Relaxing Outdoor Oasis
Sitting outdoors, sipping a delicious beverage is safe and relaxing when you’ve enlisted the services of Schafer Construction. We have decades of experience serving customers’ deck building needs across Montclair. We can assist you with inspections to ensure your haven is safe for use. Additionally, we can make your dream deck a reality with our excellent contracting skills. Bring life back to your outdoor sanctuary when you call us today.
Call Schafer Construction at 510-339-9100 or contact us online. Homeowners across Montclair and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on our skilled and experienced team for deck building, inspection, repair needs, and remodels.