If you’ve invested in a deck, you’ll want to maintain it well so that you can avoid much deck repair. Here are a few tips to help keep your deck in good condition.
- First thing: Clean and seal your deck every two to three years. This provides protection against the rain and sun.
- Second thing: Clean and seal brand new decks immediately. Cleaning kills mildew spores and stops surface impurities from interfering with sealing.
- Third thing: Shovel snow off the deck right away. You’ll want to protect the wood from snow.
- Fourth thing: Protect the deck from grease. If you’re going to grill on the deck, use a grease catcher. Grease stains are very hard to get rid of.
- Fifth thing: Perform regular sweeping. Accumulations of dirt and leaves can result in staining.
- Sixth thing: If you have bushes or trees close by, keep them properly trimmed. By maintaining them at least 12 inches away from the deck, you’ll slow the growth of mold, moss, and rot.
- Seventh thing: Move planters and furniture around once in a while. This helps to prevent stains where these objects are.
- Eighth thing: Fix popped nails right away. If you see a loose nail, remove it with a hammer and replace it with a screw that is longer than the nail to hold down the board.
If you require deck repair or maintenance, the professionals at Schafer Construction are there for you. We have decades of experience and an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. To find out how we can assist you, please contact us.