In many parts of the country, changing seasons mark temperature changes and serve as a reminder to handle maintenance around the home. You may have family that swears by spring cleaning. They pull out junk from closets, pull down curtains to wash, and clean out gutters. In the winter, they service their pools and hot tubs or trim back shrubs. The lists may differ, but the concept is the same – seasonal changes are the perfect time for routine maintenance. Even in California’s temperate climate, fall is a great time to conduct some deck maintenance. If you don’t have an existing deck, now is the perfect time to hire a quality deck builder in Orinda.
5 Steps for Fall Maintenance to Prolong Your Deck’s Life
When you enjoy all the activities your deck allows you, you want to make sure it lasts for as long as possible. Start by conducting regular maintenance. Fall is a great season to slow down and take care of business. Use these five steps to get the most out of your outdoor haven:
- Clean your deck. The first step in fall maintenance is to clean your deck. Start by removing all furniture, planters, and even your grill. Sweep off any debris, and then scrub down the boards with a quality, biodegradable solution. Since pressure washers can damage wood, you may want to rely on old-fashioned elbow grease and a push broom.
- Stain if needed. Over time, the California sun will damage the boards and railings. You may notice discolorations. If you do, then take some time to re-stain your wooden deck. This step will bring back that lovely color and tone that you remember from when your deck builder in Orinda first built it.
- Finish off with a sealer. Cleaning and stain will be all for naught if you fail to seal it. A quality sealer protects the finish on your deck from mold and mildew, as well as cracking and splintering from the material expanding and contracting due to temperature changes.
- Branch out to the yard. Now that your deck looks great, you can keep it attractive by trimming nearby bushes and trees. Remember that plants are magnets for some pests, and they also trigger mold, moss, and rot to set in, leading to decay.
- Bring in the professionals for a complete inspection. As you clean, you may find nail heads protruding from the boards or even some decay. By hiring an experienced deck builder, you can get the expertise needed to ensure your haven remains safe and will last a lifetime.
Choose Quality Deck Builders in Orinda – Hire Schafer Construction
Increase the number of years you can enjoy your deck by conducting regular fall maintenance. The team at Schafer Construction helps homeowners with deck maintenance, repairs, and construction. We understand the joy that quality decks bring to Californians, and we strive to make them last for several years for you and your family. Contact us today for all your repair and deck building needs.
Call Schafer Construction at 510-339-9100 or contact us online. Homeowners across Orinda and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on our skilled and experienced team for deck construction, inspection, and repair needs.