One advantage for homeowners in the Montclair area is the ability to use their decks all year. No matter what time of year, they can open the door and step out onto their wooden haven for a cup of coffee and conversation or host a party. Holiday parties are even better with this advantage. Some festive lights and decorations, along with a portable heater or two, make for a delightful evening. Because decks can be used year-round, it makes sense to ensure they are safe for all who venture onto them. Inspections ensure that the ledger board, railings, and all the fasteners are tight and in good shape. If something is out of place, your preferred deck contractor in Montclair can do the needed repairs, so you can get back to planning your next event.
Suggestions for Deck Maintenance and Inspection
Regular maintenance and inspections help avoid catastrophes. Decks are typically close to the kitchen, making them excellent places to gather. Many are over 20 years old, which can be problematic if proper maintenance isn’t applied. The last thing you want to have happen is for the railing, stairs, or deck to collapse while hosting your holiday gathering. Please keep these suggestions in mind:
- Pre-winter maintenance is the key. It helps to take an afternoon to clear off the deck, sweep it, and clean it thoroughly. If you haven’t treated it in a while, you may want to slide in treatment before winter kicks into high gear.
- Clear debris from trench drains. Water needs to flow freely away from your structures, which are ripe areas for flooding into your garage. They can also whisk water toward your pillars, encouraging rot.
- Look for loose connections. The ledger board attaches the deck to the home’s main structure. Most deck collapses occur because the ledger board separates from the house. The result can be disastrous.
- Keep an eye out for mildew and mold. These organisms lead to decay when left alone. They affect the integrity of the deck boards, causing them to become weak and decay.
- Clean out debris from between the decking boards. The bits of dust and grime that build up between the boards break down, become like a sponge, and absorb the moisture around it. Left alone, it will become a source of decay, causing weak boards.
- Have a professional inspection regularly. Depending on the age of your deck, it is wise to have a deck contractor in Montclair come in and perform an inspection. The professionals can cover every inch of your outdoor haven and let you know if there are any concerns.
Choose a Reliable Deck Contractor for an Inspection before Your Holiday Party
Have peace of mind that your family and friends will be safe on your deck when you contact the dedicated team at Schafer Construction. We have years of experience in the Montclair area and understand the importance of these outdoor havens to homeowners. Depend on us for all your deck’s needs, including inspections, repairs, and quality builds.
Call Schafer Construction at 510-339-9100 or contact us online. Homeowners across Montclair and all of Alameda County rely on our skilled and experienced team for deck building, inspection, repair needs, and remodels.