Decks are a valuable extension of a home or apartment. Families enjoy time together for parties and festivities. They are often the place where people go to relax or have Sunday morning brunch. Between relaxing and partying, we often think that our haven will last forever. Unfortunately, that is not the case. January started rough for some Bay area residents. One collapsed deck caused serious injury to a middle-aged couple.
Regular deck inspection can help avoid future collapses and injuries. Mother Nature has a way of causing deterioration, so beat her at her game by calling in the experts at Schafer Construction to conduct periodic deck safety checks. It is especially important if your deck is over twenty years old.
Tips for Conducting Deck Inspections
It does not take much to check your outdoor structure to help prevent accidents and costly repairs in the future. Here are a few things to keep an eye out for:
- Loose Ledger Board – This is the board that attaches your deck to your home’s primary structure. Without it, or the lack of proper attachment to the structure, the structure can collapse.
- Look for Rot – Look for rotten boards, popped nails/screws, and loose fasteners which can indicate dry rot. Dry rot is an accident waiting to happen.
- Wiggle Your Railings – The railings should be at least 42 inches tall and no more than 4 inches in between the rails (if it is a cable rail then it needs to be even closer). It needs to be able to withstand a force of 250lbs in either direction (towards or away from the structure) in order to be strong and steady to keep you and your guests safe.
- Bring in the Experts – When all else fails, remember to call in a licensed deck contractor for your Montclair home to check things out and make sure all is safe.
If you notice issues with your deck, it is imperative that you get it fixed as soon as possible by a reputable company like Schafer Construction. We can perform the necessary repairs and preventative maintenance needed to keep you safe.
Suggestions for Preventing Deck Collapse
You can also take a proactive stand and use these steps to prevent tragedy:
- Know the weight limit of your balcony or deck. Avoid overcrowding.
- For older decks, have an expert inspect and reinforce where necessary.
- Remove unnecessary weight from furniture, appliances, and other heavy
Protect Your Family with Help from Montclair’s Trusted Deck Contractor
No one should have to experience a deck collapse. With careful inspections and repairs from Montclair’s trusted deck contractor, you can enjoy years of fun with family. Give the experts at Schafer Construction a call. We have worked with homeowners across the Orinda, Montclair, and the San Francisco Bay area to protect and prevent deck collapse. Let our crew of licensed professionals help you.
Call us today at 510-339-9100 or contact us online to see why homeowners across Montclair and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on Schafer Construction for their structural repair and construction needs. Let us bring your outdoor entertainment dreams to a new level!