Summertime inspires thoughts of backyard entertaining. As the thermometer rises to a more pleasurable temperature, it is time to bring out the patio furniture, wash it down, and get ready for some grilling fun. Your deck provides you with the best opportunities to enjoy great times with good company. For years, it supplies you the haven you crave from the chaos of the world. Now, is it summer-ready?
Protect your wooden oasis when you summer-proof it. Keeping seating areas cool is only one step. Lafayette’s expert deck builders at Schafer Construction stand ready to inspect and repair your existing structure or create a new one. Let the good times roll this summer season, with peace of mind that everyone is safe outdoors.
Useful Suggestions to Get Your Deck Summer-Ready
Protecting your investment will ensure years of enjoyment. Use these five tips to get your deck ready for summer entertaining:
- Inspect your deck for potential repairs. The elements can wear down your haven and slowly ruin it. Take some time to inspect your deck for loose boards and screws, splits, cracks, and rotting wood. Also, be on the lookout for mildew and mold. Remember to look at the joints and framing for any signs of deterioration. Schafer Construction offers deck inspections to look for the areas you may not consider. We also make any necessary repairs to keep it in great shape.
- Break out the power washer and scrub your deck. Keep mold and mildew at bay when you take the time to wash your deck. Be sure to use the appropriate cleanser based on the type of material. For instance, wood uses a different cleaner than composite material.
- Stain and seal the boards. Using the correct stain protects your wood from the elements. Look for one that has UV protection, repels water, and inhibits mildew. If you want to keep your boards cooler from the effects of the scorching sun, choose a lighter finish.
- Trim back trees and shrubs. You can help keep mold at bay when you trim any bushes, trees, or plants. Ideally, they should be at least 12 inches from your deck. Be sure to sweep off debris. Wipe up grease spills immediately. Try to rearrange your furniture frequently to keep the wood from discoloring.
- Add shade to keep your guests cooler. It is hard to enjoy a tall glass of cold tea when the sun beats down and melts the ice too fast. Give your guests reprieve from the sun’s rays by adding shade.Consider patio umbrellas for immediate relief and installing plants that will grow and add shade as they mature. A few other ideas include:
- Installing a misting fan.
- Cooking outdoors at cooler times of the day.
- Change up your patio furniture to include lighter-colored cushions.
Enjoy Summer on Your Deck with Proper Maintenance and Repairs
Beat the heat for years to come when you keep on top of deck maintenance. The deck experts at Schafer Construction have been inspecting, repairing, and building backyard havens for more than 30 years. Trust our experience to help build and preserve the oasis you deserve.
Call us today at 510-339-9100 or contact us online to see why homeowners across Lafayette and the San Francisco Bay Area rely on Schafer Construction for their deck construction, inspection, and repair needs.